NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alex Oren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 14:21:14 -0500
From: "Debbie Kempf" <[log in to unmask]>

> You will learn over time whether your child only reacts to ingested
> dairy ingredients or whether they also react to inhaled dairy
> ingredients.  My daughter uses an Advair inhaler for her asthma that
> contains lactose and she has no problem with it even though she reacts
> immediately with itchy lips and throat to the slightest bit of dairy
> that she tries to eat.

Lactose and lactose-derived ingredients are not allergenic per-se.
If the lactose in your daughter's inhaler is pure C(12)H(22)O(11), she could probably eat it without
adverse effects - as long as she's not lactose intolerant.
However, depending on the manufacturing process, it may be "contaminated" with diary proteins
that *can* trigger an allergic reaction.