NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rachele Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 21:27:45 -0600
>What changes when butter is clarified? Are the majority of the milk proteins
>removed?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Cindy B.

I would like to note that I have used ghee at home with my son (now 7)
since he started on solids at 6 months. He gets hives with dairy and has
never had a problem with ghee. In fact, many times I have done my own skin
test on him. I rub ghee on one cheek and butter on the other. Sure enough
the butter side breaks out and no reaction on the ghee side.

I have always made my own ghee from a chemists recipe and am very careful
to boil it until 245 degrees until all the water is boiled off and then
all the milk solids are coagulated. I do not "skim off the froth." I
FILTER it through a cloth.

Here is what the chemist found through research of food scientists to be
the chemical composition of ghee.

Triglycerides 98%
Steroids        0.5%
Fatty Acids     0.4%
Water   0.3%
Others  0.8%

"Others includes: phospholipids, fat soluble vitamins A&E, carotenes (only
in cows ghee), volatile & non-volatile ketones and aldehydes, and traces
of charred casein, calcium, phosphorus, etc.

So there is charred casein in well filtered ghee.

Rachele Shaw