NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
EngJrnTchr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Aug 1998 22:06:51 -0600
Debbie,

My family and I raise beef cattle on a Missouri farm.  At the moment we
have 23 nursing calves.  Just today we were in the field checking the
cows which are very friendly, one baby was covered with milk!  Our
daughter ,who is anaphylatic allergic to milk, is the proud owner of two
of her own cows, both with nursing calves.

When the calves are young she never touches them near the head or back
of the neck.  Usually nursing calves, even bottle feeders, get milk all
over their faces, chins, necks, etc.  Sometimes, because Mama licks the
calf frequently, it gets on their backs.  When it is hot and they are
slobbering and shooing flies, they sometimes get it on their backs.
Sorry to be so gross but that's reality on the farm.  Goats and horses
operate the same way.  All the animals you mention nurse their young.

Another thing you didn't mention, but should think about is the feeding
of these animals.  Often young farm animals are fed grain, bottle fed,
given supplements, or "grower" types of feed that contain milk or milk
derivatives.  This probably will be true of these animals.  We do not
allow our daughter to feed grain or such products herself.

I read once on this list of a child who had a milk reaction due to being
licked by a dog that had just eaten dog food.  I don't mean to scare
you, but you need to be aware of these possible sources of trouble.

On a positive note, Elizabeth is friendly with her cows and calves and
has never had a bad experience with a reaction caused by touching or
being around the various types of food and supplements.  Elizabeth is
four and still a thumb sucker too, though she is slowly tapering herself
off. Because of her experience, I feel sure you/she will be okay with
precaution.

To sum this all up,  be careful!!  Make sure you have the necessary
medications, emergency numbers, etc.  ready.  Good luck!!  I wish more
children got the opportunity to do the kind of thing you are describing
this unique camp.  Life would be better if more people learned about the
simpler things in the world.

Deborah