NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 19:48:07 -0700
At 04:06 PM 10/23/98 EDT, Lynda wrote:

>If the inability to tolerate milk is due to a lactose  intolerance there
are lactose free formulas available, and there are also hypoallergenic
formulas available such as Nutramigen and Pregestimil which are hydrolyzed
casein but 75% of milk allergic babies can tolerate it from what I
understand. (My son was one of the 25% who couldn't so I can't speak from
experience!)

Lynda,

My kid is reacting to the Progesimil too ... but I'm having trouble finding
an alternative.  She's got some kind of malabsorbtion going on I can't take
her off it ... she just shrivels up (protein I think) but she gets major
calories ...

anyway what did you do?

>pediatric gastroenterology department at a teaching hospital or children's
hospital.  GI docs, Nutrition docs and clinical dieticians there would be
familiar with formula alternatives to the traditional soy and milk based
varieties.

yeah right my ped gastro put her back on a milk based formula ... her ears
were ruptured and bleeding within 4 days they did not believe me that she
was allergic.  Not the blood tests I took them showing she was highly
allergic.

Guess I'm still a bit angry about it all.  We're adopting her so when that
is final we'll get her to the right Doctors.

Love,

Amy