NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robyn Kozierok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 16:12:36 -0400
> One further note: By choosing to eliminate dairy from my diet for 6
>months of pregnancy + 1 year of nursing, I run the risk of becoming
>lactose intolerant myself.

I wondered about this when I went strictly dairy-free while nursing
my allergic son.  But someone sent me information that stated that
adults tend to become lactose intolerant over time, notwithstanding
exposure to milk products, so that I might just happen to be lactose
intolerant after I went back (if it just happened to occur at that
time in my life, due to age), but it wouldn't be caused by the lack
of exposure for that time period.  fwiw, after about 10 months
dairy-free (my son outgrew his allergy!) I did not have any problems
with lactose when I reintroduced it into my diet.

--Robyn