NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynda Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 20:46:18 EST
In a message dated 1/21/99 2:27:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Does anyoen have any experience with this - a skin test coming
>  back negative and the allergist saying "OK, give her milk"????

I'd be reluctant to reintroduce milk for two reasons:  1)  the skin tests are
never 100% accurate and your daughter still could be allergic.  2)
recommendations I have heard from the pediatric allergists at the Food Allergy
Network conference for the past two years have recommended witholding highly
allergenic ingredients from allergic kids until age three to give them the
greatest chance to grow out of the food allergy.

Since you are already managing a milk free diet, I would wait another year to
give her the best chance of outgrowing it.  Most milk allergic babies outgrow
their allergy by age three.

Lynda (whose 8 year old still hasn't outgrown it but hopes yours does)