NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 09:14:49 -0800
On Thu, 12 Nov 1998 20:30:41 -0500 KA <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>What I DO do is decidedly NOT kosher -- 'lard' the bird with bacon....
>the bacon basically turns the bird into a self baster, but I still use a
>baster and occasionally drench the bird in it's own juices...I usually
>have to refresh the bacon halfway thru, as the first batch gets
>crisp...
>
>Makes for a very moist bird, with a slightly smokey flavor....]

Last Thanskgiving I made a Kosher bird and smoked it on the Weber.  It
was wonderful and a great change if you have a large kettle grill.  The
tricks that helped were to use a rack (with handles) for easy manuevering
and a large foil pan to catch the drippings.  The drippings made
wonderfully rich gravy.  The instructions for the grill or Weber's web
site have complete information about cooking times, etc.  I removed the
foil pan and drippings about 1/2 an hour before the bird was done and
made the gravy.  The meat was wonderfully moist and smokey, the skin was
all crisp and brown.  Never had to baste it, just add some additional
charcoal about halfway through.  Didn't have to worry about my toddler
getting against the hot oven all day.  It was an interesting change and
the carcass made wonderful soup :-)

I did not stuff the bird as it is not recommended for that prep method.
I just put the stuffing with extra liquid in a casserole in the oven.
They recommend a foil puch on the grill.  We also make a potato filling
that doesn't go in the bird anyway which is bigger around our house and
the bread stuffing is second.

Kathy P.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]