NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:29:31 EST
Robyn writes:
> Calcium is calcium, obviously.  It is a chemical element.  It doesn't come
> in different varieties.  I will buy that it occurs in different compounds in
> different cases, and that can affect their absorption, and possibly other
> properties.

You know this and I know this, but it's not clear that all the others know
this.

Even so, the question stands. How do the calcium compounds (there are more
than one) in milk differ from the action of calcium compounds from non-milk
sources? What is their mechanism in the body?

Considering that those with allergies on this list have to understand all the
complexities of protein fractions as well as the immune system responses of
various Ig antibodies, this is a straightforward problem. Calcium chemistry is
much simpler than protein chemistry. If we can talk about the one, we should
be able to explain the other.

I'd like to hear this explanation.

Steve Carper