NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 1998 21:53:56 -0400
On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Mark Feblowitz wrote:

> Most airline caterers (independent 3rd parties) mess up their special
> meals, not realizing that there may be disasterous results for the victims
> - er, I mean, passengers. Who knows why - it's most likely carelessness and
> a lack of proper oversight.

> You could gamble and order a kosher meal, but only on a dinner flight,
> since that's the only one that's strongly likely to be a meat meal (laws of
> kashrut prohibit the mixing of milk and meat). The others are more likely
> to be dairy meals, with little that is touchable.

I recently flew from Florida to California and back, and gambled on the
kosher meal plan.  I was on American Airlines, and when I called the night
before the first flight to see about special meals, I explained my
situation and was told the kosher meals they get are generally always meet
meals.  On the 4 individual flights, I got 3 meals I could eat.  2 were
turkey sandwitches, one was a chicken breast and some kind of pasta/rice
mix.  The 4th, would likely have been another chicken dish, but the flight
attendants screwed up and gave it to someone else.  By the time they got
to my end of the plane, it had already been eaten.

Apparently, American gets their kosher meals from a place called Wilton
Foods, and they come frozen.  On the sandwitches, the bread was a little
wet on the outside, but it was all edible.

 Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>  |  Spammers will be winnuked or
 Network Administrator       |  drawn and quartered...whichever
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |  is more convenient.