NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 21:03:03 -0700
Hi Ray,
I'm afraid I have little to offer, but am looking for information. Has her
blood been tested for any other class of antibodies, besides IgE? What about
against other dietary antigens? Was she fed cow's milk or human milk in the
first few months?
Was she on antibiotics just prior to the development of the allergy?

My reason for asking these questions is that I just read a second-hand
account of a study where dietary allergies were demonstrated to occur well
prior to allergies to airborne allergens. Following that logic, I wonder if
a permeable intestine would be at the root of your daughter's allergy. If
so, there may be an underlying condition that led to the current allergy.
Several possibilities come to mind:
1. Gluten, or some other antigen that is known to cause intestinal
permeability may be at the root of the problem, and that intolerance would
need to be corrected before one could reasonably hope for remission of the
milk allergy;
2. She may also have an intolerance to milk that was the precursor to the
onset of anaphylaxis;
3. If her allergy resulted from intestinal permeability caused by an
antibiotic that  destroyed the intestinal flora, then perhaps further
investigation for other dietary allergies would be a prudent measure.

I am not a doctor. I am a High School English teacher, and a graduate
student,  who has celiac disease, and has become interested in this field.

If you consider any of these questions invasive, please do not respond to
them. I am a nosey old coot who spends too much time reading e-mail.

I hope that is helpful.

Best Wishes,
Ron Hoggan   Calgary, Alberta, Canada