NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Irma De Bruyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 10:11:52 -0400
Dear Marla,
Thanks for alerting us to the issue of Pediatrics. I found some of the
information interesting. I was, however, quite bothered by the fact that
they lumped celiac under the "allergy' and that they did not seem to be up
to date on many of the diagnostic tools available today. My husband has
celiac disease. I and my brother have a casein autoimmunity. Both will not
be seen on an IgE test as they aren't  not allergies mediated by mast
cells. They are more to be understood as other autoimmune diseases such as
juvenile diabetes.  Celiac is detected by IgA and IgG antibodies. In the
case of celiac also by tissue transglutamanese tests. In addition, celiac
risk can be determined by genetic tests. Current research studies indicated
that 1/122 people who appear health may have celiac disease and 1/56 with
 symptoms may have celiac disease. This can be even higher with other risk
factors considered. The gold standard for diagnosis of celiac is an
endoscopy which will find destruction of the villi of the small intestine.
This is now not done in all cases if the tests are all positive.

Tests are usually handled by the gastroenterologist and not  by allergists,
who, judging from the articles, are not keeping up with the literature at
all. Recent research has been published in the Archives of Internal
Medicine and the New England Journal of Medicine. This is not to minimize
the effects of real allergies, but to clarify that digestive problems which
do not present in the manner of classic allergies should be evaluated by a
well trained gastroenterologist or a pediatric gastroenterologist.
University of Chicago,  University of Maryland at Baltimore and Columbia
Presbyterian all have celiac centers. Celiac can have many serious effects
on children including causing seizures.

Irma De Bruyn, M. Ed.
Licensed Educational Psychologist
Nationally Certified School Psychologist
( recently retired from the Norwood Public Schools)