NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:36:47 -0500
Welcome me to another list! I apologize for not having been able to read
the back files before posting, but I =really= want to know the answer to
this one (if anyone has an idea) as soon as possible, and I have not
been able to download the logs.

My 6-year-old, lactose-intolerant daughter Miri has had "ants in her
pants" since she was about two, and about the same time turned from a
sweet-natured and happy toddler to a dramatically emotional child (very
high highs, very low lows). I thought this was all just normal
(naturally, she being my first) until she entered school when my very
bright child turned out to do pretty poorly, mostly because she can't
hold still or focus on one thing long enough.

I foresaw the dread diagnosis of ADHD coming, along with the
prescription of Ritalin, so I've been pedaling fast to try to figure out
what to do (I was going to put her on a rotation diet this summer). But
on the advice of a fellow celiac list member, I took her off of milk --
last week! -- and the change was instantaneous. My sweet happy
adventurous baby girl has suddenly emerged as a boysterous but
easy-going 6-year-old, and even her teacher has noticed the change (her
tests are coming back with 100s now! instead of 40s and 50s).

I've searched the Net and not found any site that deals with removing
milk from the diet as a possible solution for ADHD-type behavior (I say
this precisely; clearly it is =not= ADHD if it can be 'cured' with a
simple dietary change). Does anyone have experience with this? Is there
a website out there I can visit?

The main thing I want to know is this: is it lactose I'm fighting or
more than that? Casein? All dairy products? Is yogurt okay? Cheese? I
love having my cheerful, bright, focused kid back but I don't want to
limit her diet more than is necessary.

Any help appreciated!
--
Linda Blanchard