NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Gallant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 05:38:40 -0800
I think a lot of us crave dairy because we were raised with it. Our taste buds become used to it. our tase buds redevelop every 10 days, so if we were to stay away from dairy long enough we would eventually lose our cravings for it. it wouldn't happen overnight, but it would happen. Before the dairy industry was born people only drank what the cows could produce, so saying people didn't consume as much then would be accurate. It also wasn't processed back then like it is today so milk was consumed in its natural form. I suspect there may have still been some allergy issues but not as severe because nothing was altered. Yes heat treating it kills bacteria, but it kills the good as well as the bad.I know in some cases milk and cheese were consumed for survival, but it doesn't mean there weren't health consequences to go with it. Once more food became available the milk really wasn't necessary, but people have continued drinking it because they got used to it.

  There is a health magazine to check out called Vibrant Life that once in a while has articles on dairy that you may find helpful. They share studies done to verify their conclusions as well as the plain facts. A book to check out is THE CHEESE BOOK which explains the process of how all the different cheeses are made, which will likely explain why a lot of people have reactions from eating them.
  Sue