NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 14:04:11 -0400
>In a message dated 9/29/98 3:41:42 PM Central Daylight Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>
><< If it is to proteins as well as lactose, it is likely an allergy, either
> IgE-mediated or IgG-mediated. >>
>
>Is lactose a protien?

It's a sugar. But not *all* reactions are to proteins, and not all lactose
is completely protein-free.

>Can you be allergic to lactose or only intolerant?
>Could a person allergic to milk possibly use the drugs (like the pill form of
>Zyrtec) with lactose in it but not the other protiens?  Or is there whey and
>caesin in lactose?

I personally have trouble with lactose in pills. I tried, but I just
couldn't tolerate them. Mostly lower GI symptoms, but it doesn't matter to
me whether it's allergy or LI - I just can't use them. Some might...

>Also, does anyone know if allergy testing (any type) distinquishes between
>caesin and whey and any other form of milk protiens?  I have one child
>allergic to milk (discovered through  an elimination diet).  Would it do any
>good to have her tested to find out she could possibly have the phony cheese
>with caesin in it?  Or do these tests only find a milk allergy in general.

Casein can be tested separately from other milk proteins. We tried that for
Josh in an attempt to get him some soy cheeses, Cool Whip, and some
non-dairy creamers. No such luck. Tested positive. Tried thesoy cheese
anyway (or is it anywhey?)  - no discernible reaction, but he didn't eat
enough to warrant a reaction - he hated it. Doesn't it just frost you when
there's a food that they might be able to eat, except they just don't like
it? Sheesh.

Mark

Mark Feblowitz                  GTE Laboratories Incorporated
[log in to unmask]              40 Sylvan Road, Waltham, MA 02154-1120