NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynda Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 17:31:49 EDT
In a message dated 10/23/98 11:18:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< My kid is reacting to the Progesimil too ... but I'm having trouble finding
 an alternative.  She's got some kind of malabsorbtion going on I can't take
 her off it ... she just shrivels up (protein I think) but she gets major
 calories ...

 anyway what did you do? >>

My son had difficulty tolerating the Pregestimil--it resulted in a lot of
vomiting from GE reflux.

Fortunately, he was well over a year old by the time his allergies got to the
point that we had to abandon formula totally and switch to water.  He was
taking in enough calories by mouth with solid foods to compensate from the
decrease in milk or milk alternative calories so it was awkward but it worked
out okay.

I know with the age of your baby you do not have such a luxury.

I would suggest that you seek out a pediatric gastroenterologist who
specializes in nutrition issues. You can find such doctors at children's
teaching hospitals.   Sounds like you need a GI workup for your baby if you
have malabsorption problems coupled with food allergies or food intolerances.
Other things could be going on that you are not aware of (like GE reflux or
other GI disorders).

LYnda