NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
EngJrnTchr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 1956 20:06:07 +0000
I strongly suggest that you prepare meals for your
child in preschool.  We keep snack size packs of
Imagine Pudding and one kind of candy in the
teacher's office.  I insist the school call me, if
short notice to read labels over the phone, or
tell me the day before when special treats will be
given.  Our preschool is very cooperative and they
call often.  I send breakfast, lunch and a snack
daily in an insulated lunch bag.  BTW, the bag has
a large patch on it that says I'm Allergic to Milk
from Mimic.

Besides meals and snacks, realize that there will
probably be food related crafts or activities.  I
have prepared an entire recipe at home or
purchased all supplies many times just so my child
would not be excluded from an activity.  Think
about things like saving empty dairy-free cartons
for those requisite milk carton projects.  Buying
candy if it is used as a treat for the teacher to
keep on a shelf.

I made an extensive list of do's and don'ts and
made several copies for the school.  Much of what
I include can be found at http://www.non-dairy.org
(The back to school primer is particularly good.)
or from the Food Allergy Network.  Our sheet has a
copy of our daughter's picture so that a
substitute teacher can readily identify her too.

We have attached key chain-like ingredient cards
and warning signs to our daughter's backpack.
Inside the front pocket are the Benadryl, Epi-Pen,
Jr., all the other necessary goodies for a
reaction:  phone numbers, etc.  We do not leave
this bag in her cubby with her other possessions.
It goes on a shelf in the teacher's office
(attached to the classroom).  This is the bag we
take everywhere our daughter goes.

I trained all the teachers and director in the
daycare how to administer the Epi-Pen, Jr. that my
daughter carries everywhere she goes.  During the
time there was a recall and she carried a syringe
and epinephrine, I trained them to use this method
too.  I went to the allergist alone and the nurse
trained me first.  In fact when we used the
syringe I had to give myself an injection in the
leg to prove I could do it.  With the preschool
staff I used an orange.  Periodically, I ask if
there is anyone new who needs to be trained.  The
teachers told me that they weren't so worried
about having my daughter in their class since I
took the time to show them what to do AND
practiced with them.  It took one hour the first
time around.  I went there during nap time and
they rotated the teachers in and out.  A few
months ago someone suggested that you call the
local EMT/fire department and see if they could do
the training for you.

Finally, since my daughter turned one she has worn
a Medic Alert bracelet on her right hand.  She is
right handed and that's why we placed it on that
wrist (more likely that people will see it). She
is four now and the bracelet is worn but still
looks fine.  She only removes it for bathing.
Medic Alert has a web site and the toll free
number can be found there.

Education is everything in this game, as in life
itself.  Good luck!

Deborah