NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Juliann Seebauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:17:23 -0600
Nancy,
How is your son taking/ swallowing the Prevacid?

You are probably negating the effects of the Prevacid using the
Mylanta. thru a web- search, I found out that Prevacid should not be
taken with iron or multivitamins. Mylanta has Magnesium and Aluminum,
which (are cations) like iron. I would guess that the Mylanta is
interferring with the action of the prevacid. Before changing the
dosage, substitute the Mylanta. Breaking up the capsule into a powder
will not improve the action if  you still have Mylanta around. My
first thought would be to get some Cherry syrup (found in some stores
in wine-bottle shaped bottles) They contain only the fruit and sugar.
It may be more likely found in an international store or a liquor
store as a drink-mixer. an example can be found here:
http://buy-ethnic-food.com/poland/morello-cherry-syrup.html

Remember, it may take up to 2 weeks for an allergen to get out of
either your or your son's system, so most eliminations need to be for
awhile before seeing improvement.

I was on a meat- and potato (and less than a dozen veggies and
fruits) diet for over a year while nursing my second child. My kids
still combined are allergic to milk, eggs, soy-peanuts, legumes,
corn, tree nuts barley, BHTs, most fish, and haven't even dared try
them yet on shellfish (they are 6 and 8 now). We had to start from
scratch (down to 1 or 2 foods) numerous times with my second child-
she has delayed reactions, and are more vague than the first ones.
Potatoes have a surprisingly amount of nutrition in them.

Are you on any daily multi-vitamin, or something you eat everyday? I
was drinking a calcium- OJ which only after MONTHS I realized that it
was causing my daughter's daily spit-ups (until 10 or 11 months old).
Ah, hindsight. She also had problems with sleep and screeching due to
salicylates - the red dye in the Mylanta may be also causing the
restlessness and pain. His tendency to favor the cherry Mylanta may
also be a craving for what he's allergic to. If you wish, write me
off- line with your/ H's diets and maybe I can give some more hints.

My daughter also had a tough time either nursing from me or a bottle.
She'd choke and spit- she'd do better with a cup (Even when she was
young). So we skipped a bottle and just had her drink from sippy cups.

As for the tiredness- try to get into the sunshine more on these dull
winter days. Try to get some exercise, too. I know- you're too tired
to exercise. Do some laps around the house or mall, you'll sleep
deeper and be more rested.  Having 'special' kids is very draining.
Increase your prayer-life.  We also ran the vacuum cleaner in their
room to make a loud white noise would help her fall asleep.
I'm getting long, Hang in there,
Juliann