NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
D Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 08:50:30 -0600
> If he had been given formula first
> thing, chances of him developing an allergy to it would have been actually
> lower. Just a theory, I know, but in our case it could explain the
> situation quite well.

Interesting... so are there any children out there with anaphylactic milk
allergy who were never breast fed?  In the survey I saw 1 listed at 0-3
months of breastfeeding.  Even in the best of situations, it can
sometimes be very difficult to avoid all early use of formula.  Our son
was given a bottle in the hospital the first night, even though he was
supposed to have been brought to me and breastfeeding was going well.
 At 2 weeks old, I needed emergency surgery to remove my gallbladder
and had to discontinue nursing for a few days.  We then found his
allergy at 5 1/2 months after mixing some formula with his rice cereal
and his lip and mouth swelled.

I'm still nursing him at almost 19 months and I have been strictly off
dairy for over a year.  Hard to imagine not nursing a next baby and
giving milk formula exclusively.  But I know of a few examples of
children that were never breastfed who one might expect to have milk or
other food allergies based on their history, other allergies, eczema etc,
but they never had a problem with milk.

My husband was breastfed (5 mo), then had a milk allergy which he
outgrew but still has hayfever.  I was never breastfed and no allergies.
But in general, my husband has been the healthier one.

Denise