NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2008 11:00:44 -0400
Right. And the conventional wisdom does not apply to all cases. Those
in the "allergic 2%" - highly allergic and/or with multiple atopic
disorders - may never outgrow theirs. Our highly atopic 21-year-old
is still highly allergic to milk.

My mild childhood symptoms got significantly worse starting at age 17.

I have heard of a few cases where a child with a hair-trigger
reaction to dairy completely disappeared at roughly age ten.

Pretty much everybody's mileage differs :-)

And the other things mentioned below are considerations. It may be
that the reactivity lessens but is still there - I've heard that
described as "sub-clinical." So the patient might not suffer
anaphylaxis, but the presence of dairy might make hay fever or asthma
worse; or might raise the patient closer to their threshold, so some
lesser allergen might then push them over the edge.

I know our family (my three boys and I) are off of dairy for the rest
of our lives - unless there's a cure.

Mark