NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lillian Mount <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 10:58:29 -0400
<<Lactic acid is a colorless, syrupy liquid formed in milk, sauerkraut,
and some pickles from the fermentation of sugars.  It is also a by
product of muscle metabolism formed by the breakdown of glycogen.>>

This is true, and according to the gastroenterologist my husband has seen,
here's what happens when we are Lactose Intolerant and eat dairy products.

The system needs the Lactic Acid to help defuse the situation caused by the
Lactose it has just ingested. Lactic Acid is stored in the muscle tissues,
and the body "pulls" it out to help "destroy" the Lactose it has encountered.
This is the way our doctor explained it to us. Very basic and childlike, I
know, but it did get the message to us. My husband would suffer severe
muscular aches and pains as well as the gas, bloating and diarrhea - and we
didn't understand how the two would go together. This simple explanation was
enough to provide the tie-in for us.

I have an old book, "The Milk~Free and Milk/Egg~Free Cookbook" which I
treasure. It's copyrighted 1974, by Isobel S. Sainsbury. I have used it as
guide for many years. It may or may not be still available, but it's worth
trying to find. The ISBN is 0-668-04701-1.

Dr. Jerome Glaser, M.D., who wrote the forward, states, in the forward,
allergy to milk is the most common form of allergy to food in the human
being. Eggs are the next most common.

However, Lactose Intolerance is not, as I understand it, an allergy. It is
caused by a system, deficent  in the enzyme needed to digest milk. I do not
know if the symptoms for those who are truly allergic to milk are the same or
not.

At any rate, here's a recipe in this cookbook for egg free, milk free:

Mayonnaise or Salad Dressing
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. coffee Rich
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/2 cup. salad oil
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tbsp. lemon juice
few grains pepper
fresh cake of soy cheese (Tofu)

Mix ingredients. Put in blender and beat until smooth and thick.

Lillian
[log in to unmask]   Tampa, Florida