NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sherene Silverberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2008 06:52:48 -0400
On Oct 13, 2008, at 4:49 PM, Mark Feblowitz wrote:

> You'll need to replace the protein and the calcium and the vitamin
> D. The protein's easy (unless you're vegetarian). The D and Calcium
> are harder. I take diary-free Calcium Citrate plus D (CVS store
> brand).
===========

Mark, I disagree.  I feed my family a vegan diet and other than
vitamins D and B12, everything else is very easy to find in a
vegetable only diet.  Leafy greens contain higher amounts of protein
per CALORIE than animal protein.  They also contain good amounts of
calcium, as do broccoli and a variety of seeds and nuts.  It's very
easy to obtain sufficient protein and calcium from a dairy free,
vegetarian diet.

I make my children a high protein, high fiber, pretty high calcium
smoothie each morning and it only contains spinach or kale or
collards, plus berries, flax seeds, and cashew nuts.  This smoothie is
a nutritional powerhouse and requires very little effort.

Sherene
--http://homeschooledtwins.blogspot.com