NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jessica Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 20:31:26 -0700
Hi all,
As most of you know, we just received a diagnosis from an allergist
regarding Justin's suspected milk allergy.  So now our kids' diets have
been dairy free for about three weeks now.  It hasn't been as hard as we
thought it would be.

But now, *I* sit here tonight with stomach cramping, gas, and nasuea.  This
would normally make me think "stomach flu", but this is the 7th time I have
had these symptoms in the last 2 months.  Twice I ended up in ER where they
did blood tests (not for allergies or anything) and sent me home saying I
probably had a stomach flu that wouldn't leave me alone.  I just spoke to
my doctor and she wants me to see a gastrointestinal doctor now.  She says
it sounds like I am having a food intolerance or possible malabsorption.  I
was so sick a few weeks back that I lost over 9 pounds from vomitting and
diareaha. The weird  thing is--- my symptoms get better for about a day or
two, then start right back up again.  In full force.  It starts with severe
stomach cramps right below my sternum (sp?) high in my stomach, then comes
the vomitting, then diareaha.  The cramping is not relieved by vomitting.
This goes on for about 12-16 hours to the point of dehydration and massive
weight loss. Right now I am about 93lbs --15-20 lbs underweight for my
height (5'4").

So here are my questions:
1) Can a lactose intollerence bring on symptoms right after consumption
some of the time, while other times it takes up to 24 hrs for symptoms to
start --or is it always consistant?

2)If it is a different food reaction, will buffered vitamin C and epson
salt bring relief as well as they do for lactose intollerance?

3)Can a food intollerance build up over time, or does it just start
suddenly?

Thanks for any help or insight you can provide...this is getting
ridiculous.  I am cutting all dairy starting tonight, and keeping a
detailed log of what I eat starting tomorrow.  I never thought it was
possible to be so afraid of food.

Jessica