NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beth Kevles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jan 2006 07:10:29 -0500

Hi, All --

I've made some updates to my web site recently based on reader-feedback.  Of particular interest:

Some of the DPT vaccines are cultured in a medium that contains casein.  So if you or your child is getting the vaccine, make sure to get a brand that is cultured in something else.  (The reader said that her baby got an eczema reaction, which is unpleasant but NOT a contra-indication for the vaccine.  Anaphylaxis, of course, IS a contraindication.)  My site has the brand names listed, but of course these can change without notice.

Some wines are "fined" (clarified) with casein.  (Egg is another clarifier, and there are four other clarifying agents that I don't know about.)

Sour mix (think margaritas) may contain milk products.  So may "vinegar" flavored potato chips/crisps.  (I think lactose is what gives the tanginess to the flavor.)

Some whole poultry has casein in it (as a preservative, maybe?)  So read the label on that turkey you were planning to roast.

I've seen some good "lactose intolerant" cartoons in the paper recently ... I think in "Close to Home"  --- definitely one of those cartoons that's only one panel long.  Keep an eye out!

-Beth Kevles
  Eating without Casein Website
  web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html
  DISCLAIMER:  I am not, nor have even been, a licensed medical practicioner.
  Consult with your physician as necessary.