NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Julia O'Neill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 2004 09:20:25 -0400
I have been reading postings to this list for about a week.  My
7-year-old son was recently diagnosed with casein allergy.  His only
symptoms were frequent bowel movements and stool leakage (small
amounts).  This has been going on since birth.  I thought the stool
leakage was a behavioral problem (didn't have time to go to the
bathroom), but now I understand that it is something he can't control.
The doctor did a blood test for IgE to casein.  It was strongly
positive.  As soon as we eliminated all dairy from his diet, things
cleared up.  On the recommendation of several friends, we tried soy milk
(only on cereal and as an ingredient in pancakes).  He started to have
symptoms again right away.  Now we've eliminated the soy milk (I'm sure
there are soy products in other foods he's been eating).  After about 3
days everything is fine again.  I have several questions:

1.      I'm assuming he's allergic to soy also.  Is it important to
avoid all soy products - oils, fillers, etc. - even if they don't seem
to cause symptoms?
2.      In an individual that is allergic to milk, soy, etc. is there
damage to the damage to the digestive system or other risks associated
with consuming foods he is allergic to (I've seen articles that claim
someone who is allergic to dairy and continues to consume dairy may
develop Type I diabetes - one of his aunts has Type I diabetes)?  How
strict should I be?
3.      He doesn't like eggs, but I've encouraged him to eat eggs to
replace the protein from milk.  He gets a stomach ache after eating eggs
- maybe that's why he doesn't like them.  Is it possible he's allergic
to eggs?
4.      Should I have allergy skin test done since it seems like he's
sensitive to more than just milk?

I'm keeping a detailed food diary.  That has really helped.

As far as recipes go.

I've made the cookie recipe on the Quaker Oats box with canola oil
rather than butter/margarine (I make the pan cookie rather than drop
cookies - it's quicker).  They turn out great.

I've also substituted canola oil for butter/margarine in other cookie
recipes without any problems.

I made pancakes from the Joy of Cooking basic recipe substituting soy
milk for the milk and soy butter for the butter.  They turn out good.
But I won't be doing this again since we've determined that soy is
causing problems too.

Thanks,

Julia