NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 21:19:00 -0400
DI <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I've been using the archives of NO-MILK for some time and have found it a
>very valuable resource.

Good idea. One can do it by e-mail, or visit the archive site at:

  http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/no-milk.html

>One of their scentific advisors, Prof Albert Flynn of UCC
>Nutrition Dept, agrees that there is some evidence for the
>protein/osteoporosis connection but claims it is still "a hypothesis."

Studies that correlated calcium loss with high protein diets used isolated,
fractionated animo acids from milk or eggs.(1) Dr. Herta Spencer, of the VA
Hospital in Hines, IL shows that when protein is given as meat, subjects do
not show any increase in calcium excreted, or any significant change in
serum calcium, even over a long period.(2) Other investigators found that a
high protein intake increased calcium absorption when dietary calcium was
adequate or high, but not when calcium intake was a low 500 mg per day.(3)

(1) Herta Spencer and Lois Kramer, "Factors contributing to osteoporosis",
Journal of Nutrition, 1986 116:316-319

(2) Herta Spencer and Lois Kramer, "Further studies of the effect of a high
protein diet as meat on calcium metabolism", American Journal of Clinical
Nutrition, June 1983 37 (6):924-929

(3) HM Linkswiler, et al, "Calcium retention of young adult males as
affected by level of protein and of calcium intake", Trans. N.Y. Acad. Sci.
1974 36:333