NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kevin Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 10:43:02 +0000
>Hi all,
>I am looking for some calcium info and I apologise if this is a past >topicbut I would like to know what the Recommended Daily Allowance
>for calcium is. I went look for some sups for my three year old
>(pulled him off of dairy about a month ago) and was soo confused by
>all the brands, types of calcium and methods of taking it. I found
>some effervecent(sp?) sups that he would think is reaaly cool but it
>contained a different calcium than the chewables. Or should I go the >TUMS route (I would prefer not to).  If I had the RDA, I suppose I
>could make a more intelligent decision. thanks for any info, Lori

The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for calcium has recently been
changed.  The Food and Nutrition Board of the National Academy of
Sciences has issued the following guidelines:

1-3 years = 500 mg
4-8 years = 800 mg
9-18 years = 1300 mg
19-50 years = 1000
51 + years = 1200 mg

When buying a supplement, it doesn't matter whether you buy a generic
brand or brand name.  For example, most regular aspirin is 325 mg.  It
doesn't matter if it's Bayer, Osco, or any other brand because they
all will have 325 mg of aspirin.  Look at the label when buying
supplements.

There are different types of calcium to buy (e.g. calcium carbonate,
calcium citrate) and it can be confusing.  Forget the marketing hype
by Paul Harvey and other celebrities.  Calcium is calcium, but calcium
must be attached to a carrier just like any other vitamin or mineral.
Carbonate and citrate are both carriers.  The best bang for the buck
is to buy calcium carbonate.  Also, make sure that the calcium
supplement you buy has vitamin D in it.  Without vitamin D, calcium
cannot be absorbed.  Even though we get some vitamin D from other
foods, and through the body's ability to convert sunshine to vitamin
D, it is best to be sure one get's enough of that nutrient.

A word of caution:  Some people buy oyster shell calcium, but one
should stay away from that.  Often, traces of lead are found with that
type of calcium.

Finally, the guidelines above are just that - guidelines.  I am not
saying the recommendations are not valid, because they are.  Yet, some
people will look at the RDAs as a diagnostic tool, which they are not.
If a person isn't getting in the full amount of calcium (e.g falling
100 mg short each day), that doesn't mean a medical condition exists
or will exist.

Kevin Kelly, Licensed Registered Dietitian