NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"R. Pellerin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2008 16:35:42 -0400
If you are substituting VANILLA soy milk for milk, then yes, you can have a
difference in taste.   Try plain, or even plain unsweetened.  Most soy milks
are sweetened.

Cooking without dairy (and only that)? I have no problem feeding my family,
and there is one meal for all.  If we ignore that she is considering
avoiding beef, simple traditional meals such as roasts (beef, lamb, pork,
turkey, chicken, ham) are great and no milk is needed for a nice gravy.
Cook up veggies as usual; if mashed potatoes are an issue, suggest a dairy
free margarine and use chicken broth as your liquid.  The leftover meat has
endless possibilities (sandwiches, noodle stirfries, fajitas!!). Tofu and
most Asian cuisine is safe.  Vegetarian sushi is enjoyed here when on sale.
Did I mention curry chicken with coconut milk?  Sandwiches with tuna, Flakes
of Turkey/Ham and leftover roasted meat are also enjoyed.  If ingredients
are carefully checked, then hot dogs and sausages are enjoyed here too.
Hamburgers.  Simple spaghetti sauce.  Meatballs.  I also cook up noodles and
add veggies and meat.  Chicken soup - with dumplings where I sub the butter
with the margarine and the sour cream with mayo - is a staple here.  I know
of one brand of chicken nuggets that we buy on occasion that is safe and
Highliner fish sticks are also safe (read ingredients each time).  Or you
can buy plain fish and dress it up the way you like.  Pierogies that are
store bought and frozen - just the potato and onion or bacon kind - are
usually safe.  The kids also eat lots of fresh and frozen fruit as snacks or
in smoothies.  Pretzels are safe; plain chips are too but not healthy!  Many
varieties of crackers are also safe and purchased on sale.  Don't forget
Jell-o!!

Learn to enjoy veggies without cream sauces and cheese.  Your waistline will
thank you.

When baking, I sub milk with soy/rice milk and butter with margarine or
mostly with oil and no one ever notices the difference, I swear.  Don't use
oil substitute if the recipe requires rolling (e.g. sugar cookies, pie
crusts).  The results, while edible, don't turn out right and the rolling is
a nightmare.  I make cakes, brownies, cookies, biscuits, pancakes, scones
and muffins successfully and everyone enjoys them.