NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sherene Silverberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jan 2006 08:59:13 -0500
Here is a different perspective on bedwetting.

Our son was very perturbed by his bedwetting and I did a lot of
research on this topic.   One of the interesting bits of information
I discovered was that a lot of bedwetters have smaller than normal
bladders and lower than normal sphincter control.

I told my son that we believed that bedwetting is generally something
that resolves itself with physical maturation but if he wished we
could do some of the exercises I discovered to increase his bladder
capacity and sphincter control.

Life became hectic and I didn't do anything about it but little did I
know that my 4.5 year old had taken this information to heart and was
doing the exercises on his own.  It took him about 4 weeks and all
bedwetting ceased. This was a child who was going through two Good
Nites a night.

In case you are interested this is what DS did:

To improve sphincter control he basically did the male version of
Kegel exercises.  He stopped and started his urine stream every time
he urinated.

To increase the capacity of his bladder he spent afternoons drinking
copious amounts of water and then when he felt to the need to urinate
he put off urinating. Initially he only managed the count of ten. He
slowly increased the length of time he waited until he was holding it
in for long periods.

A really good benefit for me is that we no longer have to plan
errands around DS's bladder.  Before he started this he felt the need
to urinate about twice an hour, now he can hold it in for much longer
periods of time.

Sherene in Norfolk