NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sherene Silverberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2008 06:38:57 -0400
On Oct 13, 2008, at 11:17 PM, Jean Duane wrote:

> For example, if you want to make a cup of "whole milk" use 16
> almonds or raw cashews or macadamia nuts and 1 cup of water and
> blend until smooth.  Strain and use as you would milk.
=========

use less water and you have "cream".  Add a teaspoon or two of lemon
juice, let sit and you have "sour cream" or "yoghurt" to use as
replacements in recipes.

I make a cashew nut "cream cheese" that is very good. LMK if you want
the recipe.

I use cashew nuts in preference to almonds because you don't have to
strain cashew nut milk. If you don't have a high speed blender like a
Vitamix or a Blendtec, soak the nuts for at least 2 hours before hand,
that allows you to get a creamier, smoother "milk".

Shez
--http://homeschooledtwins.blogspot.com