NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Barbara Pollack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 12:05:03 -0400
>Does anyone have a good recipe or know of a book that would have recipes
>for no-dairy bread. I love to make bread but most of my recipes call for
>milk or buttermilk.

Anyone who has grown up kosher actully prefers breads made without
milk--even white bread.  The results will be a bit different if you use
water or fruit juice--but they will be very good.  I wore out three bread
machines before I went lowcarb--and they were all pareve.

I once even made a brioche (by hand) using schmaltz (rendered chicken fat)
instead of butter--was that ever delicious!!

>BTW, I live on sourdough bread. I was raised in San Francisco area and
>when we moved to D.C. I missed GOOD sourdough enough to have anyone
>visiting bring bread with them.

I'm originally from NYC, now in MD.  Yes, the bread in this area is
pathetic.  Even the supermarkets in the NY area seem to have better bread
than most bakeries here.  That's why I learned to make my own long before
bread machines.

BTW, it is possible to make a very nice sourdough starter using potato
water and raw onion--no milk at all.  It may not be the same as SF's but it
is good.

Barbara
 Wise CHOice for lowcarb, dairy-free frozen desserts
                   http://ExpertFoods.com