NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Karin Dietterich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 13:26:40 -0800
Marla Shapiro <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> debby, how does it work in baking? can you use it in recipes where you =
> might use whip cream (like a chocolate mousse), or whipping cream, or have =
> you tried that?

I have a recipe for chocolate mousse that's fantastic!  No milk substitute
needed.  I got it from "Cooking Light" magazine.

3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
1 (12.3 ounce) package reduced-fat extra firm tofu
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water

Place melted chocolate and tofu in a food processor or blender, and process 2
minutes or until smooth.  [I've made it in both a food processor and a blender.
 I got significantly better results with the food processor.]

Place salt and egg whites in a medium bowl, and beat with a mixer at high speed
until stiff peaks form.

Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil.  Cook, without
stirring, until candy thermometer registers 238 degrees.

[I've changed the order and I start the sugar and water boiling and then whip
the egg whites.  There's plenty of time, and it means the egg whites don't sit
as long waiting for the syrup.]

Pour the hot sugar syrup in a thin stream over egg whites, beating at high
speed.

Gently fold one-fourth of meringue into the tofu mixture.  Fold in the
remaining meringue.

Spoon 1/2 cup mousse into each of 8 (6 ounce) custard cups.  Cover and chill
for at least 4 hours.

Yield: 8 servings

Karin

http://taxes.yahoo.com/