NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sally Flanagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 13:31:53 EDT
Holy cow!  Did I miss something in the talks about almond rella????  Today at
the grocery store I saw tofu rella, cheddar flavor.  I read and re-read the
ingredients, as we all do.  It had no milk listed.  My son Peter is allergic
to Milk, Eggs and Peanuts, and the label listed none of the other contaminents
either!

As soon as he took the first bite he handed it to me and said "No, mommy, milk
in it".  Then about 30 seconds later he started screaming like he broke his
arm and said "hurt belly, hurt belly" and began to violently throw up.  I gave
him benedryl, called the allergist, then he began losing consciousness and the
hives started, first on his mouth, then on his chest.  Still breathing ok I
did not give the epi-pen.  By the time the allergist called back he had
completely passed out but the symptoms were not progressing and his breathing
was still rythmic and slow.

Anyway, I guess these rella cheeses are not the best for milk-allergic
persons!!  Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

Thank the Lord for modern medicine!!!!!!!!!!!

--Sally and Peter (9/96 allergic to Milk, Eggs and Peanuts)