NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 19:29:46 -0700
On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:31:16 EDT Heidi  Loncosky <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who didn't take NO for an
answer !
>I would love to hear how other people respond to criticism or if they
even
>get criticism when people question your child's reactions to the
allergens
>that "you" have idenitfied.

I don't tell them that she tested negative.  Our allergist is good in
that he certainly beleives me when I tell me she reacts to something even
though a skin test is negative.  I have had trouble with pediatricians
who are not as familiar with allergies/food reactions.

As for family members, most have seen her react - she used to spit
up/vomit now has more behavioral outbursts.  She also still gets eczema.
It's a pretty visual thing either way.  Even the most sceptical (i.e. my
MIL) counted the number of times she spit up on her after being fed
something (bread) that apparently contained dairy.  She also had a wonder
eczema flare up the next day for the photo sitting that my MIL was paying
for.  Needless to say, she's still skeptical,  but keeps her mouth shut
more :-)

>Also I'd like to know what people do in situations where they are trying
in
>make sure that their child doesn't get those foods but they have no
>"scientific" proof why they can't have the foods. Ex: school, camp

The experience we have here is our playgroup.  She's only 28 months, so
haven't gotten to other things yet like preschool.  There are enough
other mom's as well as kids with food reactions that most (not all)
respect the "don't feed Alyssa" policy.  Our mom's in general will ask
before feeding someone else's child.  I did just recently have an
incident where Alyssa got a big yogurt kiss from one of the other kids,
but most aren't allowed to walk around with food or messy hands.  I just
calmly got out a wipe and cleaned her up.  No apparent reaction - we
haven't tried dairy in quite some time.  I'm not looking forward to
letting her in the care of strangers though.

Kathy P.