NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
thepeckovers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 11:44:07 -0500
Michele Ferris wrote:

> I've suddenly become lactose intolerant and allergic to milk at the ripe old
> age of 35.  Does anyone know of medical answers of why this would happen?
> Also, in your experience, if the allergy develops at my age, will it stick
> with me or perhaps be temporary?

I'd be interested to read any answers you get if they're not posted to the
list.  I developed IBD (ulcerative. proctitis) in my late 30s and am now
discovering that milk protein seems to be a trigger.

I do not test positive on standardized IgE skin allergy tests.  I get delayed
"allergy" symptoms:  intestinal bleeding, intestinal noise, and my face flushes
if I eat food that contains milk.  I'm not aware of anywhere around here
(Eastern Ontario) that does lactose intolerance tests, so I'm not able to rule
that out - it could be a part of the problem, however, since I react to cheese
products far more than I do to milk (and that was my first tip off) it suggests
that one of the milk proteins might be the cause of at least part of the
symptoms.

My symptoms have become exaggerated since I've tried to eliminate it from my
diet so much so that if I now eat something with a hint of milk protein in it
that people sitting across the room can hear it the second it leaves my stomach
and makes explosive noises as it enters my intestinal tract.  This of course may
be more indicative of lactose intolerance than a food intolerance.

I recently consulted an allergist who's taken an interest in my case, so I may
learn more during the coming year.  Meanwhile, I'm learning to live without milk
products.

Karen