NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kimkabob4 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 16:33:51 EST
Another question. What exactly is an anaphalactic reaction?   I used to
absolutely love blue cheese dressing, especially to dip hot, spicy chicken
wings in.  About a year ago I found my throat closing up and my lungs hurting
after eating it.  I have avoided it ever since, until last week while at a
party I took a bite of something not knowing it was made with blue cheese.
Within a minute, my lungs hurt and I had to think about my breathing.   After
only a very small bite!  Luckily they had benadryl.  I am allergic to airborn
mold as well, so I assume it is the mold in the blue cheese that did it as I
am not dairy sensitive, but that only makes my nose itch and run.  Is this an
anaphalactic reaction? Does the reaction tend to get worse with each exposure?
Should I be carrying around benadryl just in case?  I really don't want to
drop dead at a restaurant or party.  And I always prided myself on not having
any allergies!  BTW my father has the same exact reaction to blue cheese, but
he deals with it by taking the benadryl before he eats it.

Kim