NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sharon Didinsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 16:49:17 EDT

<< If the inability to tolerate milk is due to a lactose intolerance there are
 lactose free formulas available,  and there are also hypoallergenic formulas
 available such as Nutramigen and Pregestimil which are hydrolyzed casein but
 75% of milk allergic babies can tolerate it from what I understand. (My son
 was one of the 25% who couldn't so I can't speak from experience!) >>

My son was also one of the 25% and as he approaches 2 he is still unable to
tolerate them.. There are alternatives to the above formulua and to a meat
based formula - they are called elemental formulas, such as Neocate. Neocate
is an amino acid based formula that contains all of the essential vitamins and
nutrients.  It is available only under a doctors supervision.  Clayton was on
the Neocate infant formula fromt he age of 6 months thru 13 months and
currently is on Neocate 1+ for kids over the age of one.

Love,
Sharon
mommy to Jake (5) and fraternal twins (34.5 weeks) (3/30/97) - Cole -(nda)
and Clayton (eosinophil gastroenteritis, food allergies, g-tube, Nissen and
possible latex allergy, some DD and undiagnosed neuro issues and sensory
integration disorder)