NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lisa Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 13:38:55 -0400
The Belsky Family wrote:
>I love to make bread but most of my recipes call for
> milk or buttermilk.

I usually just leave out milk powder from a recipe, and add a little extra water if milk is called for.  Same with eggs.  This work better with white flour than with whole wheat.  To add some texture back, I'll substitute 1/4 to 1/2 cup potato flour for white.  Back when we had it in the house,  I used to use soy baby formula and also had good results.

Do you have a breadmaker? It makes it easy to experiment - no effort lost on a bad batch.

Lisa