NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 21:49:58 +0000
At 15:48 13/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>Is there a resource that details which meds are cut with lactose?
>>

>Yes - it's called the PDR, or Physician's desk reference. It contains
>detailed info sheets on all prescription meds, includign lists of their
>inactive ingredients.

In the UK the I have tried to sort out the problem of lactose as an
excipent (the technical term for fillers)
The answer I got back from the European board about lactose is that so
little is used it shouldn't cause any problems!  What a shame they don't
see milk allergic people after they take the medication with lactose in.

Basically most tablet based medicines contain a filler otherwise the tablet
would be the size of a pin head. Lactose is cheap and plentiful, to change
the excipent from lactose to something else will cost the drug companies
big money for new licenses - they don't want to do this.

It is important as Mark has stated to speak to your pharmacist and make
them check against PDR or in the UK Martindale and ABPI Data Sheet
Compendium if the medication has lactose. Failing this speak to the drug
company themselves ask for the Medical Information Department and quote the
medicine and dosage of the drug they must (in the UK) give you an answer  -
ask if the excipent is lactose (They will think you are adoctor or
pharmacist) if not bluff I do regularly.

Alan

      UK's only site for the Lactose Intolerant try....
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/park/gfm11/index.htm