NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 5 May 1997 15:28:40 -0500
>Has anyone had any experience with cheese made from 100% sheep's >milk?
        This is "old" wisdom--like the belief that some children out grow
their allergies.  I've heard of cases where some people can tolerate sheep's
milk and sheep's milk cheeses for a WHILE but then they begin to react to it
as well. The proteins in sheep's milk aren't drastically different then the
proteins in cow's milk.  I react just as much to sheep's products as well as
cow's (but I do miss my feta!). Note: the other school of thought is very
similar to this one is to try goat's milk and goat's milk cheese.  The
results are very similar for most people...some people react right
away...others can tolerate it for a while and then react.
        I only know of one case, personally, where some one allergic to milk
proteins could tolerate sheep's milk.  A good friend of mine's daughter was
born allergic to dairy proteins.  They switched her to sheep's milk and
sheep's cheese and she improved. She still has hives, though, so I question
just how "symptom" free she truly is.
        Good luck deciding what's right for you and your daughter.

p.s. If your daughter likes the taste of tahini (and I can't blame her--I
love it myself!) I have a GREAT recipe for mock-mac-n-cheese that is based
on tofu, tahini and tumeric...but the real key to getting it to taste right
is the amount of salt.  Cheese is very salty (and usually highly acidic) so
you have to add what seems like way too much salt to get it to taste right.
(btw, a Braun hand blender works fine on this...and I've never taken the
step of baking it...I skip that part all together...I make the sauce and
leave the noodles really hot and just toss them together...temperature
test...and if I'm satisfied, just dig in...or otherwise I heat it up a bit
on the stove top. Note of caution: because this has tumeric in it--it will
stain things easily.  Have to be careful not to spill or store in your
favorite containers.

Macaroni and 'Cheese'

14 oz. uncooked elbow macaroni
4 cups water
10 oz. pkg soft silken tofu, drained
1 cup soymilk or rice milk
1/2 cup tahini
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp. turmeric
salt (to taste)
2 tbsp dairy-free margarine or canola oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Boil macaroni in water until just underdone,
drain, rinse in cold water. Blend tofu and soymilk in blender or food
processor until smooth. Add tahini, nutritional yeast, turmeric and salt;mix
until smooth. In large bowl, stir together macaroni and 'cheese' sauce.
Place mixture in lightly oiled oven proof casserole; top with pats of
margarine. Bake until golden and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Serves 10.