NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean Callag <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 1997 13:07:45 -0400

<<   The next best thing you can do is breastfeed the baby rather than
 offering any formula.  Since breastmilk is easy for the baby to digest,
 this seems to allow the immature baby's gut the opportunity to strengthen
 prior to exposure to the potential allergen.  BUT the lactating mother
 should also completely avoid the allergen in her own diet, since some
 allergens can get into the breastmilk and trigger a reaction in the baby.

Hi Beth,
I agree that if you know that you or your spouse is allergic to milk you
should avoid it.  However, we aren't allergic to any foods.  My husband and I
have pretty severe airbourne allergies though.  All through my pregnancy I
continued to take my shot.  Also, I decided to nurse and I drank tons of milk
because I thought it was the "right thing to do."

At 2 months I gave my son reg. formula and his bottom became bright red so
the doc says try lactofree or prosoybee all these bothered him so I decided
to continue to nurse.  Yes, still drinking my milk.  The pediatirician didn't
tell me by drinking milk I could be making my child suffer.  Now he's got
severe allergies to milk,egg, and peanut, not to mention some drugs.

I blame this old ped. for not telling me to lay off the milk and yes I did
read quite a bit and I didn't see anything on this.

I now have a 9 month old when I was pregnant and nursing him I avoided milk
and took a supplement and he seems to have less allergies, but I still think
he's got a milk allergy, but no eczema, and seems to tolerate other foods
better than my older son.  I quit nursing him at 5 months because his lack of
interest and the fact he kept getting so many ear infection now that I don't
nurse he hasn't had one since, plus he was very gassy I think from me taking
this supplement while I nursed.  I'm thinking if we have a third child I may
not nurse at all or very briefly.

Just thought I 'd share my experience nursing with milk allergic kids.