NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2008 08:24:29 -0400
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008, Weavre Cooper wrote:

> Re: "Soy cheese without casein is hard to find at the best of times and it
> is prohibitively expensive.  I just don't bother.  But one day I will as I
> promised my son we would make him a pizza one day..."
>
> I eat absolutely no dairy, with an allergy severe enough for a bit of
> pharmaceutical lactose in tablet medicine or a breath of Doritos air to
> induce anaphylaxis. But, I love pizza! How?
>
> Second ... just leave the cheese off. (What? Pizza without cheese? Yes!)
> Just put on lots of other toppings, whatever you like, and season well with
> appropriate herbs. I add toppings--peppers, onions, olives, mushrooms,
> pineapple, ham, you name it--until the tomato sauce is completely covered.
> Then sprinkle extra herbs on top--garlic, oregano, a bit of extra salt if
> you want, etc. Then bake just like any other pizza.

I used to make pizza like that too...except I'd start with a layer of
sauce on the crust, pile on toppings, then spoon more sauce over the
toppings.  If you can find them locally, Tofutti makes several cheese
substitutes in slice form.  Just tear them up and add to the toppings.

Even better, Tofutti makes both pizza bagels and a more traditional flat
pizza, both parve (in the frozen section).  I haven't seen the pizza
bagels recently, but on their flat pizza, I add pepperoni half way through
the cooking time.

My kids, who don't seem to have dairy issues, don't appear to notice the
difference between Tofutti pizza and real pizza.

  Jon Lewis                   |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |