NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jennifer Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 07:09:41 PDT
 >I got the info on Neocate ... they are so high in corn (a HUGE problem
for
>many) and ASTRONOMICALLY high in sweeteners / sugars.
>
>I just don't get it ... why does not someone make a formula that's just
>healthy ... not sweet ... or full of all kinds of chemicals *sigh*

Amy,

I am not a chemist but I am a strong believer in Neocate.  This formula
is a lifeline for many children.  Before switching to Neocate my son
vommitted 10-12 times a day.  He was covered with excema to the point
that he had oozing scabs on his face, head and chest.  He was
hospitalized for dehydration and was suffering terribly.

The sweeteners make the formula a little more palatable.  The
alternative to having a child drink it is a feeding tube.  Believe me,
my son has had a feeding tube, I would rather take my chances with the
sweeteners.

Regarding the chemicals, there are children who can not tolerate ANY
form of protein.  Neocate breaks the protein chain down to it's most
basic form, amoni acids.  For these children this is the only way they
can receive nutrition.

I respect your choice not to try this formula but please understand, for
some children this is a lifesaver.

This is just my point of view.

Jen
(Michael 11/7/95, eosinophilic esophagitis, food allergies, asthma)