INTERLNG Archives

Discussiones in Interlingua

INTERLNG@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
STAN MULAIK <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
INTERLNG: Discussiones in Interlingua
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 1997 20:08:28 -0400
> > Date: Tuesday, July 01, 1997 6:55 AM
> >
> > Dear Jay Bowks,
> >
> > I received your enquiry concerning Interlingua. You seem to have an
> > artificial language of that name in mind. However, "interlingua" is
> also
> > technical term within the field of machine translation, describing
> one
> > major type of machine translation technique. Machine translation
> systems
> > that operate according to the interlingua principle perform an
> analysis
> of
> > the text (e.g., a sentence) to be translated, building some formal
> > representation of its meaning, and possibly other properties. Then a
>
> > translation into some other language is generated from this
> representation.
> > When no alterations are made to the representation before generation
>
> > starts, the representation is referred to as an "interlingua
> expression"
> > (otherwise the system is a "transfer" system). The interlinguas can
> be of
> > many different forms in different systems, for instance, logical
> formulae,
> > tree structures, or other kinds of graph structures. In other words,
> they
> > are not languages meant for human use, but formal constructions
> suitable
> > for computer programmes. I have developed an experimental system
> which
> > partly uses the interlingua technique, and that must be the reason
> why
> you
> > came across my name. I have no knowledge of the artificial human
> language
> > "Interlingua", however.

Jay Bowks shared your letter to him on our listserv, INTERLNG, devoted to
the use of Interlingua.  That brought to my mind the possibility that the
reason you and other linguists using machine translation call this an
"interlingua translation" is because the man responsible for the
development of interlingua may have described this as a possible use for
Interlingua in a paper presented to the Modern Language Association in
1954, in which he described Interlingua, which is a standardisation of
the international elements in the European languages developed by the
International Auxiliary Language Association (with funding from the
Rockfeller Foundation and other granting sources between 1937 and 1951,
the year Interlingua was released to the public.  Dr. Alexander Gode
was the final director of IALA's auxiliary language project, associated
with that project in several capacities between 1939 and 1951. He was
the one who made the final efforts to bringing the language to reality.
It is a natural language based on standardizing the Latin-Greek-Romance
elements in the European languages according to the prototypic forms
from which these elements have evolved in the modern languages. The
idea was to use English, French, Italian, and Spanish/Portuguese (treated
as if they were for all practical purposes a single language) and German
and Russian as alternates to discover the international words and
forms in the European languages. A word was accepted as in the international
vocabulary if a similar variant with similar meaning was found in at least
three of the base languages. The form on which the variants were standardized
was the prototype, the form that either historically or theoretically the
modern variants had evolved from. Some standardization of derivational
systems was also introduced, because the Latin derivational system was
seen as itself the "grand prototype" on which modern languages based
many of the formations of new words from Neolatin.

Anyway, here is the text from the 1954 paper at the Modern Language
Association in which Dr. Gode discussed Interlingua as a basis for
machine translation:

>Convention of the Modern Language Association of America
>
>Conference on Interlinguistics
>(December 27, 1954, 2:00 P. M.,  Hotel Statler, New York City)
>       THE PROBLEM  OF FUNCTION AND STRUCTURE IN INTERLINGUA
>                  Per Dr. Alexander Gode
. . . . (Un major portion del texto es hic delete. Le sequente
         es super le idea de "Interlingua como un intermediari
         lingua de traduction).

Stanley Mulaik
Professor of Psychology
Georgia Institute of Technology