INTERLNG Archives

Discussiones in Interlingua

INTERLNG@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

INTERLNG: Discussiones in Interlingua
Date:
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 13:02:47 +0200
Car interlinguistas,

I cant write/speak Interlingua fluently yet, so I never post any messages,
waiting until I learn. But as I see no one is givin an answer to the Basque
language message, I will do it.

First, Basque for "computer": "ordenagailua" (lit. machine that "ordena"),
pronounced /or'denagaLu'a/, with two tonic accents and lateral palatal.
Catalan (I'm Catalan): "ordinador" /urdina'do/. European Spanish: ordenador
/ordena'dor/.

Second, about the Basque/Caucasian theory:

This is an old theory stating a filogenetic relationship between that
language developed in the area between the Atlantic coast of what we know as
France (Aquitaine) and the Central and Western Pyrenees and that linguistic
family from the Caucasian mounts, specially Georgian.

The only, yet astonishing, base supporting this theory is the fact that both
Basque and Georgian are ergative languages. It means, roughly, that
transitive verbs have to hold concordance both to the subject and the
object, so the subject happens to "wear" a special case marker called
"ergative", while the object "wears" a void case marker. Indeed, Basque has
also (I dont know if Caucasian languages have too) concordance between the
verb, the subject and the indirect object. And even, traditionally, yet
being lost, gender verbal forms.

I have to say that today this theory has become less popular, specially
because it envolves talking about a long period of time (at least 10.000
years ago) and the fact that there is no further evidence of this
relationship beyond ergative grammar (although it's a quite impressive one,
as I said).

If you want further information, dont hesitate to ask (in interlingua, of
course), though by now I'll have to reply in English (or if you prefer, in
Catalan).

Thanks for your patience.