INTERLNG Archives

Discussiones in Interlingua

INTERLNG@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruud Harmsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2014 17:44:31 +0200
[in haste, therefore in English, sorry]

How do you say 'Interlingua word' in Interlingua? Confer: French
word, English word, Urdu word, Hindi word, etc. So what I need is
an adjective corresponding to the noun 'interlingua'.

I think I have seen 'interlinguan' for this, but I doubt if that
is correct, when looking at the grammar, § 139 :
==
-an 'pertaining to ...'; esp. 'native of ...' e.g. urbe 'town' >
urban; Mohammed > mohammedan 'Mohammedan'; Africa > african
'African';
new formations: Tolstoi > tolstoian 'Tolstoyan'; Asia > asian
'Asian'
Note: Used with names of places and persons. In the case of place
names not ending in -a or -o as also of all names of persons, the
euphonic variant -ian is to be preferred; e.g. Zamenhof >
zamenhofian 'Zamenhofian'; but also Canada > canadian. The
corresponding noun form is -ano (-iano).
==

Interlingua is not a name of a place, nor a person! So how can
the suffix -an be correct?

I've also seen 'interlingual', but that seems to refer to an
interlingua, an intermediate language, in general, not to the
specific Interlingua that is the IALA Interlingua?

Surely somebody must have already found a solution for this
before me,  in all of those over sixty years?

(I need this while translating my page
http://rudhar.com/lingtics/intrlnga/gramiaan/index-en.htm into
the Interlingua version
http://rudhar.com/lingtics/intrlnga/gramiaan/index-ia.htm .)