GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:52:21 -0500
Comrades:

I take this special moment in saluting comrades in diaspora for organizing a conference on democracy. Though I will be unable to attend, my spirit and soul will be present.

It has come of late that due to some personal issues, some members of the opposition are not truthful in their undertakings..  Though truth hurts, I am not afraid to state that there are some who are parading themselves as prospective candidates for the opposition.  Lord knows how, but these folks have led us before and their deeds conceived Jammeh.  While they have rights to participate democratically, we also have rights to call for new generation of Gambians to lead the opposition.

I am sure that some will assert their stance against Jammeh, but I am of the conviction that when it comes to  Waa's illegal imprisonment, they will talk the talk.  What is wrong with the opposition?  It is unrealistic that no single opposition leader has staged a protest against this illegal imprisonment?  This is disturbing.  Can we trust their words when they cannot lead us when it comes to Waa?

I was skeptical at first with Waa.  But has time progressed, I became convinced that he is the only leader who can stand up to Jammeh.  Waa has a unique quality that is totally different from the rest of our leaders.  He is not afraid to speak, and not afraid to go to jail.  There are some who will talk the talk in the U.S. but will remain speechless when they return to the Gambia.  They may utter few words as a compliment for just pleasing the audience.

I also want to assert that we need new blood in opposition Jammeh.  While I thank our leaders, I want to state categorically that they had their chances.  We must match our sentiments with our doctrines and lead the opposition firmly.

From my own perspective, I have yet to see solidarity on the part of the opposition.  We have three members in the legislature who are there for what?  There will not be a single opposition member in the legislature if Jammeh wins the next election.  Halifa, Sidia, and Hamat, please wake up and smell the rotten rat.

How can a foreign judge and prosecutor sentence a Gambian illegally for justi uttering a call to the streets?  This is most injustice that I have ever heard of in a country.  Where is the Gambia going to?  Is it to the birds?  Oh God, please have mercy on us.

Naphiyo,

Comrade Muhammad L. Jassey-Conteh