GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
omar joof <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:37:19 +0000
SLB,
I definitely have nothing against your position as expressed below. As
regards your question, I can only say perhaps that is because the majority
here subscribe to what you call anti-President Jammeh. But this may not
necessarily be negative. Afterall, The A(F)PRC regime can benefit from this
discourse if they have the guts to confront their own shortcomings and opt
for radical and self-less changes in their modus operandi. Dont you think if
we all start praising Yaya he will simply be going to Kandinlai every
weekend to eat and drink "afra" and "attaya" respectively? There is need
indeed to constantly keep him on his toes while he performs the duties of
head of state.
Secondly, the majority of people on this forum are democrats and Yaya is
known to be anti-democracy. If this is really the case, pro-democracy
activists are bound to find themselves in opposition to him. Thus pro-Yaya
Jammeh also becomes identical with opposition to pro-democracy activism.
These two positions cannot be identical and people who take them are bound
to find themselves in opposition to each other. Only the people can shift
their positions but the positions themselves in reality would not shift.From
time to time, one position can be more popular than the other and therefore
the people on the less popular side will find themselves in the
minority.This is a fundamental characteristic of the democratic discourse
which we are trying to develop in the Gambia.
However, I am convinced that the pro-Jammeh faction is accepted here for
what it is and that is why you are being heard. Indeed you have a right to
be heard here, but so are the others. Their jumping at you or you jumping at
them are all part of the process, so lets keep the discussion flowing.
Omar Joof.