GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mori Kebba Jammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 18:42:56 -0500
Gambia L,

The Gambia has its own share of political violence eversince the military seized power in 1994. About three or four attempted coups were countered with heavy toll of life lost. Then came the 1996 election in which we have seen kidnappings of political opponents. During the 1996 election campaign a UDP convoy was attacked at the Denton bridge in which there were some causalities- people killed and wounded.Those crimes were carried by military personnel and since then not a single person is charged with those crimes. Were those lives not as equal to Alieu Njie's life?

I was amazed how  the same police authority was so quick to file charges the UDP when in the past the have been reluctant to make such charges in other cases.Who murdered our school children May 10 and 11? Remember your already shattered credibility is on the line here considering the circumstances which led to the battle and an unfortunate loss of life. This must be a warning sign to the government that it cannot continue to clandestinely endorse the actions of their supporters. Yaya has shown the seeds of violence which has finally claimed the life of one of their own. Yaya, you continue to preach peace in the country and shuttling between west African capitals brokering for peace but at thesame time you do not LIVE BY PEACE. I am quite sure any person would have responded the same way the UDP did to defend your life. Now to say that they are charged with suspected murder of Alieu Njie is indeed in the eye of the beholder. Why is the president given security protection wherever he went?  I know for a fact that if Yaya is shot at during a similar tour the security men will not allow the assailants to go unchallenged even if it means death. I am not a lawyer but simple common sense tells me what the outcome will be if this case is taken to court. Were the attackers right in setting road blocks in the first place?

I am anxiously awaiting a statement from all opposition political parties in the Gambia. The must take a position on this attack by condemning it in the strongest term possible otherwise they will do a disservice to the electorate. They should collectively stand together for a change of leadership in the Gambia. The Gambian leadership must realize that the electorate should and will have a final decision about who rule the Gambia and only a fool will try to suppress those rights.

Mori Kebba Jammeh