GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 21:31:51 GMT
Ousman,

Just one last word on Baba Jobe. The tip just given by one of Ebrima
Ceesay's people on the ground regarding Baba Galleh and Yorro Jallow being
investigated for being "non-Gambians" has Baba Jobe's hand writing all over
it. Believe me! Just inquire. You see, Yorro Jallow is a West Jaranka like
him Baba. And he (Baba) has on several occasions tried in vain to entice
that gentleman to relent in his expose' of this regime's mischief as a
journalist. First, he tried to dole out favors to the guy, and when Yorro
refused, he tried subtle coercion. Unbeknownst to most Gambians, they (Baba
and Yaya Jammeh) actually sent their business front -Amadou Samba sometime
right after the first "Independent" publication came out to bribe these
people with cars if they would abandon their quest to keep the "Independent"
newspaper alive. The gentlemen refused.  For Yorro, at one point, on a trip
to see his dad who lives in Sankwia, he was confronted, and surrounded by a
mob of Baba Jobe-inspired hooligans from his native Karantaba. These thugs
openly threatened the gentleman's life. He had to cut his stay short in
Jarra to be on the safe side. But, apparently, even that type of harrassment
isn't enough. Because of these gentlemen's determination to live up to the
creed of their newspaper, it's an all-out war against them. This whole
investigation has absolutely nothing to do with citizenship. I don't know
about Baba Galleh, but Yorro is as Gambian as anyone I know. And this whole
exercise goes to show how ruthless and vindictive Baba really is.

Your points on his Libya sojourn elucidates the hold Baba Jobe has on Yaya
Jammeh. Because despite all his puff, Yaya is at heart a coward. Just as he
couldn't and still can't muster enough courage to go after Edward Singhateh
for his role in Korro Ceesay's murder, he doen't have the guts to take on
Baba. You'll see why shortly. You see when Yaya goes to Libya, guess who his
right-hand man always is? When he is supposed to have a tete-a-tete with
Ghadaffi, it becomes tete-a-Baba-tete. Yaya doesn't speak any Arabic, and
Ghadaffi's English leaves a lot to be desired. So, guess who always
interprets for Yaya? Ask around, and you'll get to see pictures/video of
Al-Ghadaff, Yaya and Baba talking about whatever it is they talk about.
Given his fifteen years in Libya mainly learning terrorist tactics, making
any type of move against Baba is not on the cards as far as Yaya is concern.
Ghaddaffi is an expert in the only language that Yaya understands: State
Terrorism-cum-thuggery. Since Baba is Yaya's point man/expert on Libya,
he'll remain a VIP as long as Yaya rules. Anything that will upset Ghaddaffi
isn't something Yaya will risk.

And to further butress Baba's position (his trump cards,) Baba is on a
first-name basis with the biggest terrorist/murderer/rapist/crook ever to
thred on West African soil: Charles Taylor! Not only did Baba knew Taylor in
the murky world of Libyan Terrorist Training Camps, Baba's (blood) younger
brother -Sheriff Baa, has been one of Taylor's most-trusted body guards for
well over a decade now. Charles Taylor, with Liberian timber and diamond
money, could make life hell for Yaya on a whim. Just ask Ahmed Tijan Kabbah!
Yaya Jammeh may be an idiot, but he's not crazy. When he "dissolved" the
July 22nd Movt, someone called me to jubilate that "Jarra Boy" is finished.
I told the guy to go see a psychiatrist. Do you know that Yaya Jammeh gave
this man his own personal Lexus just weeks after he supposedly was
"finished?" And when most Gambians were celebrating his "disgrace," he was
shown on Senegalese TV accompanying Sedat Jobe, and being introduced as
"Presidential Adviser!" His part-time job is to run Yaya Jammeh's
single-plane airline with Salieu Jallow. Not bad for someone without any
education to speak of. Is it?

Further, on the guy's ruthlessness and vindictiveness, he married some girl
by the name Tida. This girl, who is something of a dim wit from first-hand
sources, got hired at Gambia Airways. But get this: this dim bulb actually
had the nerve to dictate to upper management where she WANTS to be posted
and what she WANTS to do regardless of her notorious tardiness. These
seasoned professionals (the top managers,) who know better, assigned her
duties that they know are commensurate with the little skills she has. In
other words, a position where her inefficiency and ineptitude will cause
little harm. Not a bad management decision I dare say. But guess what? Old
girl got pissed, and you guess right, she ran to Baba, co-Owner of the
Gambia. Within weeks, Messrs. Manjang and Kunjo, the two top managers -who
command a lot of respect from their subordinates for their competence- were
summarily fired on totally spurrious charges. That these exemplary team had
recorded very impressive results at GA did not matter. Here is Baba and his
hold on Yaya Jammeh!

He was best friends with a younger cousin of my dad. As a little boy, I and
my friends used to follow them around especially when they organize football
matches. But some things are best left unsaid. But, I'm warning the UDP
people for the last time to be prepared for Baba. What happened in Basse
last weekend will be seen by Baba to be a personal humuliation. If there is
to be any killing, it should be him, and his people who do it. So, to have
one of his boys die at the "hands of the UDP" must be really grinding this
man inside! I swear to god, since that incident, any mention of the name
"UDP" has been provoking a barrage of "mother expletives" from Baba. I bet
you. Ask anyone who has met him since. If the UDP people let their guard
down, they'll pay VERY dearly for it. Baba today is more dangerous than Idi
Amin after the Israeli raid on Entebbe. So, Saihou Mballow and co, here you
have it. You cannot say I didn't warn you. You  can either protect yourself
or foolishly rely on law enforcement officials whose role, loyalty, and m.o.
we all know too well. All one needs to do is ask the parents of the little
kids butchered two months ago. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you all,
because you'll really need it!

Saul.