GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 14:03:22 -0500
From http://www.observer.gm

News
Imam removed for having 5 wives
By DO
Feb 28, 2004, 15:09

Drama unfolded at a small mosque in the KMC area Wednesday when an imam was
removed by his congregation from leading prayer for allegedly marrying five
wives instead of stopping at the legal Islamic limit of four.

According to reports reaching Sunday Observer , the imam was summoned by
elders in the community to explain the issue of the fifth wife as they were
informed by sources they considered reliable that the imam had taken a
fifth wife in Mbour, Senegal during his visit there a few months ago.

The imam denied the allegation and was given a period of two weeks to prove
himself or else be removed as the imam.
A three-man team was then dispatched by the mosque committee to Mbour to
investigate the matter. On return, the committee members reported that they
found out that the imam had indeed married a fifth wife in Mbour. The
community elders then ordered him to cease being their imam.
When contacted by Sunday Observer Friday afternoon, the imam (name
withheld), said, “Who told you this story? It is not true, it is fabricated
by my enemies because they do not want me to lead, that’s all. I don’t want
my name to appear on the paper. But everything will be cleared and we will
know whether the allegations against me are true or false.”

Asked what he will be doing now that he has been deposed, the imam
said, “Well, I am leaving for Friday prayers now and I cannot tell you the
steps I will take but I will do everything to clear myself.”

© Copyright 2003 by Observer Company